Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ready?

Hello again, blogging world! My name is Monica. I've been chosen to be a youth delegate at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Conference of the Parties (UNFCCC - COP 17). It's kind of like a big battleground for climate change policy, only the warriors are dressed in business suits, merits are PhDs and important governmental titles, and words are the weapons of choice. It's going to be exciting, frustrating, triumphant and disappointing all rolled into one.

I'm a Filipina studying Environmental Science in Copenhagen and my pursuit of science has taken me to great places around the globe. I'll try my best to share what I experience and what I'm thinking! :)

I think it's important to have a sense of wonder for the outside world. From there the care and concern for its conservation and protection is deep and genuine.

Climate change is a battleground, so it's best to come passionate, it's best to be genuine. Otherwise what are you fighting for?

To end, here's a quote from one of the most influential women in the environment, Rachel Carson, who espoused the sense of wonder: "Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."


No comments:

Post a Comment